NWSL Championship Game | Sunday, August 31, 2014
News | Notes
- The National Women’s Soccer League will play a 20-game schedule for the 2015 season. The NWSL will also a take brief two-week break during the group stages of the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup in Canada.
- Seattle Reign midfielder Kim Little was voted the NWSL Most Valuable Player for the 2014 season.
- FC Kansas City defender Becky Sauerbrunn was named the NWSL Defender of the Year for the 2014 season.
- Boston Breakers goalkeeper Alyssa Naeher was named the NWSL Goalkeeper of the Year for the 2014 season.
- Laura Harvey of the Seattle Reign was named the NWSL Coach of the Year for the 2014 season.
uswnt favorites » intense team huddles
Erika Tymrak scores her first career international goal in her home state!
Carli Lloyd appreciation post
(As of 28 Aug 2014)
Sign the petition:
According to the timeline, the petition started over a year ago and i’m beyond saddened that we haven’t hit 5000 signatures yet.
I want to highlightArtificial turf has been blamed for increased injuries on
sporting fields, including more sprained ankles,
concussions, turf burns, and an injury known as
"turf toe." Overheating is also a health concern for
athletes since temperatures can be hotter on artificial
surfaces than on natural grass. Finally, turf is widely
known to alter the speed and quality of play on the field.
On top of the health hazards, it alters the game. Players would be more wary about slides and tackles. You won’t see any dolphin RVP headers here. No slidey celebrations.
Again, please sign the petition:
UEFA women’s football player of the year Nadine Keßler
Congrats to @kimlittle16 - NWSL Most Valuable Player for 2014. #FFTB
If you wear number 15, you’ve already won me over.
- NWSL will play a 20-game schedule in 2015 which will run from April to September
- They will take a break for the Women’s World Cup group stages
- All three federations are allocating players
- Allocated players will miss between 7 and 8 games for the World Cup
- The schedule will feature more weekend dates; an average of 1.3 mid-week games as opposed to the 7.8 average mid-week games in the 2014 season
- There will be an average of 5.9 rest days between games
- The NWSL semifinal dates will be on September 12 and 13, and the final will fall on September 26 or 27. This allows for two weeks in between the semifinal and final matches. It also avoids any conflict with FIFA dates.
Overall, this schedule seems to take into account many of the complaints from players, coaches, and fans about the 2014 scheduling. What are your thoughts on the announcement?